If you could close your eyes and put yourself ahead a few months to the end of summer, what would you like to see? Is there something you'd like to accomplish over the Summer of '22? Maybe it involves a better relationship (with someone or something.) Perhaps you want to hike a 14er, go camping, feel stronger and healthier, read a book a month, make an extra $5k, or have 36 b*free days?!? Whatever is it, come up with something you'd like to accomplish over the next 3 months.
Next, I strongly encourage you to come up with something you'd like to accomplish in June. Having an end goal in mind is great, but don't underestimate the importance of breaking it down. This is how you can set yourself up for success!
Not sure what you want to focus on? You can figure out what area you likely need to work on most through my Life Inventory Audit. Surprise: this life area may actually be a big reason why you may be over-drinking (whether you know it or not...)
Once you know what life area needs your attention right now, come up with a goal you'd like to accomplish and set a date! Also, make sure it is a SMART goal:
S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable
R = Realistic
T = Timely
Instead of "I want to drink less" you could do something like "I will drink a maximum of 2 drinks per day and 10 total for the week."
This is just an example.
Next, set yourself up for success by putting systems in place so you can easily attain the goal you're after. I do so by utilizing my GOAL SETTING WORKSHEET to:
1. Come up with the goal
2. Decide what systems you need to put in place (start doing/stop doing) so you can be successful - this is called making it easy and getting out of your own way!
3. Give yourself a start date, end date, and milestones you can celebrate along the way
4. Understand your WHY - WHY is this important to you? If it doesn't light you up and make you feel good, empowered, and motivated then get a new WHY!
5. Establish your future identity - the YOU 2.0 - that you're working toward becoming (again - this should empower, excite and motivate you.)
6. (and possibly most importantly) COMMIT - this really should be #1 - If you don't fully commit and go all in, you're giving yourself an out or a reason to "fail" or not follow through. You deserve better than this. You wouldn't keep breaking promises to your best friend (otherwise your friendship won't last long) so stop doing a disservice to yourself and start giving yourself the same courtesy you'd show your bestie.
7. Come up with an affirmation that you will use every day. Say it to yourself repeatedly every morning (and every night). Write it on sticky notes and put them randomly throughout your space. Make this an announcement, a declaration that will help you remember this empowering, positive statement. You become your thoughts so choose your thoughts accordingly.
As you've heard me say time and time again, if it overwhelms you then it's TOO BIG. So, break it down! Still not feeling it? You don't lack motivation, you lack clarity.
This exercise should help you find the clarity you need to take the steps to start setting yourself up for success and becoming that YOU 2.0,
As always I'm here to help in any way I can. Please reach out if you're interested in learning more.
Let's make this the best summer yet - one that you're proud of and can look back on beaming with pride!
You deserve it. You are worth it.
Erica + ShameOver